Hi friends! Larisa again from the I Heart Planners team. I have a confession to make – I have always loved goal planning, but hardly EVER tracked anything daily. YES, you read that right! I would get so excited and have an “action plan” for the month, but never was able to get things truly done.
Why? Because I was not doing things weekly or daily. I would have this lofty monthly, quarterly, and yearly goals but no way to keep myself accountable on a daily basis. So “one day” and “someday” never came – and my goals stayed on the paper instead of getting done. But once I figured out how and why I should be tracking daily, it honestly changed my life!
The thing about good goals is they start with good habits. Daily habits make anything possible. The daily habits you keep become the rhythm of your life – and once you realize just how important daily goal tracking is to your overall bottom line, life becomes so much easier.
Here’s how I plan my goals with our Goal Tracker:
The first thing I do is take a look at my 6-month goals. I personally don’t like to plan on a yearly or quarterly basis. So much can change in one year, and 3 months never feels like enough. Six months feels just right! I look at the core areas I’m trying to improve in my life, and the core areas I’m trying to maintain. It’s all about balance – or pretending to have balance, at least!
For the second half of 2018, my goals look like this:
- Fit into my old wardrobe again! (Fitness and Health)
- Grow in patience and with love as a mother to a toddler (Motherhood and Parenthood)
- Continue to maintain weekly and monthly planning for our busy family (Domestic)
- Make dinner at least 5 nights a week (Domestic)
- Stick to our grocery budget (Finance)
- Stick to our cleaning schedule (Domestic)
I’ll then look at each goal and see what 1-2 things I can do on a daily basis that I can improve on.
For my fitness and health goal, my daily habits on the Goal Tracker look like this:
- Workout in the morning (although you caught me – this one rarely happens! I’m very busy in this season of life but I’m trying to squeeze in 5 minutes of yoga at the very least)
- Track my meals daily
For my Motherhood and Parenthood goal of growing in patience and continuing to love on my toddler:
- Read a few pages of a parenting book (I like the ones that talk about not yelling at your kids but using positive language – my daughter responds best to this kind of discipline and communication anyway)
- HIDE MY PHONE FOR ONE HOUR to give my daughter all the love and attention
- Read at least 1 book before bedtime
For my domestic goals:
- Check calendar the night before for any conflicts with our schedule
- Meal prep the night before (sometimes this is a weekly goal instead of daily, but as long as it gets done I mark it on the Goal Tracker happily!)
- Clean your zone! (I clean a different part of my house every day, which has been life-saving in making sure nothing piles up)
And for finance goals I’ll usually write down:
- Check my account balance (I used to not do this on a daily basis and boy was that a mistake!)
Goal Tracking like this is a very detailed process for me, but I wouldn’t have it any other way. Really doing a deep dive into my own habits has helped me become closer to the woman I want to be. It has helped me make more conscious and intentional decisions as a mother, as a businesswoman, and as a wife. It has made our home cleaner and my hectic life much simpler. If you aren’t goal tracking on a daily basis yet, what are you waiting for?!
Members of the Sweet Life Society get their Daily Goal Tracker each month with amazing custom illustrations to match everything else their monthly bonus pack comes with! October’s design is close to my heart and one I personally requested… cats!!!! I’m a crazy cat lady and don’t care who knows it 🙂
If you want to learn more about the Sweet Life Society and how you can access hundreds of printables, click here!
Sign up to receive the free Get Organized Once and For All ecourse.