25 Ways to Motivate Yourself to Exercise
I don't know about you, but since it's become cold and dark when I get home from work each evening, it's been extra tough to motivate myself to get out there and get moving! I made this list for myself last year to help motivate me, and I thought I'd share it since some of you may be struggling as well.
- Try a workout video.
- Take a fitness class.
- Get outdoors.
- Do something different.
- Do something with a friend.
- Reward yourself.
- Create some accountability (blog, facebook, or call a friend).
- Get a new workout outfit.
- Play the “get dressed” trick – tell yourself you just have to get dressed in your workout clothe and shoes. You'll be more likely to work out once your ready.
- Tell yourself you just have to work for ten minutes. By that point you'll likely keep going.
- Picture how you'll feel when you're done.
- Read motivational blogs (in moderation, not so much that you don't have time to apply it.)
- Search for motivation on Pinterest – I have a “Healthy Living Inspiration” board on pinterest. Follow me here.
- Set a specific goal.
- Sign up for an event.
- Create a physical board of quotes that inspire you and put it in a prominent place where you can see it.
- Put on some upbeat music .
- Play an active game.
- Let yourself dial back the exercise intensity for your next session.
- Log your exercise so you can visually see progress.
- Just do it!
- Hire a trainer.
- Create a list of the benefits of working out (or losing weight) and review that. There are so many benefits. List the ones that are most pertinent to you.
- Use new fitness gadgets. I love fitness gadgets and think they are so motivating! I love seeing my heart rate graphs and charts from my Garmin watch.
- Use fitness apps for for your phone. There's also lots of free fitness apps for your smartphone or ipod touch. I have an Ease Into 5k running app and a pedometer app.
- Flip through a fitness magazine or read some fitness success stories.
- Tweet. Send out a tweet asking your followers to help motivate you to workout or asking what their motivation is. You can do the same on facebook.
- Confront your excuses head-on.
- Exercise with your pet.
What are you ideas? Anything to add to the list? What do you do when you just don’t feeling like exercising?
I see you have opened your Etsy shop….terrific photography! Very, very cute stuff. Looks like you have been extremely busy. Hope it goes very well for you guys. Love ya and looking forward to seeing you in a week or so.